Chosen header1

Monday, September 25, 2006

 

TA soldiers 'passed over for promotion' after serving in Iraq

Read this This is something I have personal experience of!During my six month tour of Iraq in 2004,with the Royal Green Jackets,I received two field promotions,regaining my original rank of corporal which I had held before and told that on my return to the UK I would be sent on the next available platoon sergeants course.I was a fully "course qualified" and experienced section commander with three operational tours under my belt,several contacts and a recomendation for a decoration but on arriving back with my unit in London was told that not only was I not on the course but I was being demoted down a rank!This insult was the thanks I received from a "grateful"Army after risking my life for six months and proving I was worthy and capable of command!Mine,unfortunately,wasn't the only promotion not upheld,several of my friends had similar stories,many passed over in favor of those who stayed behind and had no operational experience whatsoever!To add insult to injury myself and many others were also refused our annual "Bounty" from the TA,the excuse being that we hadn't put in enough training days at the TA center and would have to pass some rudimentary infantry tests and a couple of weekends away to qualify!-This after six months intense operational service,constantly under mortar,rocket and small arms fire and taking casualties while those who stayed behind "Qualified" by going away on a two week "camp" to Salisbury Plain and a couple of range days in Aldershot!-Needless to say many of my mates and myself told the officious little,small minded jobsworths to shove their bounty up their collective arses and left the ungrateful service of Her majesty's Forces!This is not an uncommon story and I'm sure many ex-Army readers will have similar experiences to tell,unfortunately within the TA the rot starts at the top.Many senior NCOs and officers have little or no operational experience whatsoerver and treat those who do with jealous contempt.Until this disgraceful practice is addressed by the Ministry of defense many more Veterans will leave the Reserve forces and in disgust and the Army will be weakened as a result!

On a more serious note,you may have seen on the news yesterday the TA unit being deployed to Afghanistan.Several of my friends from the Royal Green Jackets who I served with in my platoon in Iraq are amongst those men.My heartfelt best wishes and prayers go out for their safe return.Good luck boys,Keep low-Move fast-Be alert-Stay alive!

Comments:
We all wish them well!

Daz
 
Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?