Chosen header1

Tuesday, July 18, 2006

 

US Army won't extend Halliburton contract

Read this Not a shock,Having seen first hand during my tour in Iraq,a year and a half ago,the amount of waste that KBR get through on a daily basis I'm shocked that they haven't been brought to task long before!Having served several tours in Northern Ireland in the bad old days(Some would say good!)I got used to "Roughing it" a bit on active service.We didn't expect the accomodation to be four star or the food to be ought cuisine,it was adequate for the job in hand,we were at war remember(Even though the government would never admit it at the time!)However I was surprised on arriving in Basrah in May 2004 at the apparent luxury that KBR provided in all its camps.Air-conditioned accomodation is a must when you're operating in temperatures more akin to the surface of the sun,food is obviously a necessity but I did wonder at the need for five different choices at every meal with luxury deserts such as strawberry cheesecake and blackforest gateau,if you wanted somthing not on the menu you could always go to Pizza hut or Subway or one of the other fastfood conviences that sprung up in every Army camp funded by KBR.Don't get me wrong-I wasn't complaining,none of us were,who would?We were daily risking our lives(for a lie),so any luxury that came our way was gratefully recieved,however,When we didn't recieve the right vehicles,through lack of money(The Snatch "Armoured"landrover for one-A piece of junk,totally unsuitable for the job,thanks to the "Sun"newspaper for campaigning for us to get it-Bastards!)when we didn't get enough ammunition or grenades,or the right amount of support weapons,I started to wonder that perhaps I'd forgo my daily gastronomic delight,for a radio that actually worked or a Vehicle that didn't break down as soon as you drove out the main gates and stopped a bullet bigger than an air-rifle!I'd give up my meat feast with extra mushroom topping and instead have adequate air-support when we called for it.Call me Mr Picky but I thought these "Luxury" items were more worth having.Well if KBR goes off into the Iraqi sunset I may put a bid in myself,I've been known to cook a mean "Ruby Murray" and "Iceland" are doing a deal on frozen pizza at the moment!

Comments: Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?